In the event of a terrorist attack, ship’s personnel must be able to alert the authorities ashore without letting the terrorists know that an alarm has been raised. This can be through a Ship Security Alert System.
The Ship Security Alert System must:
- be capable of being activated from the bridge and from one more location.
- not be sent to other ships in the vicinity.
- be sent to a competent authority ashore.
- not give an indication onboard that the alarm has been raised.
- continue to transmit the ship security alert until it has been deactivated.