The objectives of the CBT as a training module are:
- To familiarise crewmembers with emergency procedures and safe working practices.
- To teach the importance of preventing pollution of the marine environment.
- To give crewmembers a better understanding of orders, and communication with others in relation to shipboard duties.
- To teach the crewmembers how to contribute to effective human relationships on board ships.
- To educate crewmembers to the «Specification of minimum standard of competence in personal and social responsibilities» as specified in Table A-VI/1-4 of the STCW code.